In a conference on the development of Health Tourism, held under the auspices of the Athens Medical Association, speakers underlined that Greece is an ideal destination in this field, which has developed significantly as a tourist product in the last years. Some of Greece’s comparative advantages are the highly trained Greek doctors, the low cost, natural resources and of course the unique Greek climate that provides a holiday environment for treatments. It was also stressed that an integrated national strategy needs to be formed, for the development of this particularly dynamic tourist sector.

According to the data presented, Germans and Austrians are on the top of the list of visitors coming to Greece for Health Tourism. Most of these trips are made for the purpose of wellness (70%), while the rest 30% concerns trips made for medical purposes, such as treatment or rehabilitation in hospitals and clinics.

Translation: Eleni Gogou