In the city center of Alexandria, which was populated by Greeks, there stands a big building. Its facade is designed after an ancient Greek temple and its main sign is in Greek. The inscription reads ”ΜΟΥΣΕΙΟN”, meaning ”museum.”
It is the Graeco-Roman Museum of Alexandria, built 127 years ago and which today turns a new leaf in its history, as the Egyptian Authorities want to restore its past glory.
The Graeco-Roman Museum will feature 30 large halls that will host 20,000 works of art from the Ptolemaic and Roman periods and the 3rd century BC. until the 7th century AD. Statues, amphorae, pottery, mosaics, jewelry, sarcophagi, mummies, carpets and various objects made of glass, marble and copper.
The Museum will also have a state-of-the-art maintenance and research center, as well as a multimedia room where, with the help of digital technology, visitors will “travel” back to ancient times.
It is noted that the Museum was built in 1892 to present Greco-Roman exhibits that had been discovered at archaeological sites in Alexandria. In 1983 it was listed in the Egyptian heritage list for its Islamic, Coptic and Jewish archaeological exhibits. It is closed due to renovation in 2008.